"What the Girl Wore" featured on Poetry Daily

I'm pretty thrilled that my poem "What the Girl Wore" was published recently in the Fall 2014 issue of Shenandoah, a wonderful magazine with a rich and long literary history. It's an important poem to me. I think of it as a companion piece to my lyric "Why I Mother You the Way I Do" (from my collection Seed Across Snow  from Red Hen Press). Both poems are rooted in my teenage years when three girls I'd known were killed when I was seventeen. Two were sisters hit by a car while trying to run across the road in front of my high school after the dismissal bell and then a few months later the kid sister of a friend of mine was murdered. I've always suspected trying to understand these inexplicable tragedies is what spurred me on to be a writer.  I just heard that Poetry Daily will feature "What the Girl Wore" on October 22, a wonderful honor for a poem that was rejected about a dozen times before RT Smith took it for Shenandoah.

Comments